Getting a massage is good for your mind, body, and soul. It can effectively facilitate a healthy lifestyle as a massage not only relaxes your body but also helps it to repair and heal. As often as we’d like to take a long, relaxing massage, most of us don’t have the time to spare from our busy lifestyles or it simply costs too much. Going to a spa or visiting a private masseuse can cost a lot and be time-consuming. But the good thing is that massages can be done at home, by friends and family using relaxing massage techniques. And it doesn’t even take that long. A 10-minute massage in a specific area can relieve stress, improve blood flow and make you feel invigorated.
Massage therapy was once considered a luxury but it has not become a crucial part of treating health problems as well. Athletes are recommended to get massages frequently as there are many positive effects of massage for athletes. Here are some of the benefits of getting a massage:
- Reduced tension in muscles
- Helps athletes monitor muscle tone
- Helps in relaxation
- Reduced muscle hypertonicity
- Increases motion range
- Improves function of soft tissue
- Decreases muscle stiffness and fatigue post-workout
- Improves exercise performance
- Decreases muscle soreness
Here are some massage techniques to relieve tension at home:
- Shoulder massage: Place your hands on the shoulder in a way that your thumb touches your upper back and the four fingers are placed on top of your shoulder. Gently make circular motions with light pressure.
- Head massage: This technique is similar to the way you would shampoo your hair. Start at the temples and slowly work your way up towards the top of your head.
- Foot massage: Hold the feet, bottom side facing towards you. Place your thumb in the middle of the soul and start making circular motions by applying pressure very gently.